Wednesday, October 19, 2011

People in My Life: My Momma

YAY!!!!!!!

It is finally Fall Break for me :) first thing I did when I got home was eat Chick-Fil-A, watch a Sex and the City marathon, and help my mom pick out a dress for my sorority's parent's weekend

Now to the purpose of this post: every once in awhile I want to try to share with y'all really important people in my life and what they mean to me.

If you don't like super mushy/emotional things then stop reading now!!

Today, I want to share with you the person that never judges me, always finds the words to lift me up, and makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. My best friend: my momma


Find out more about her by clicking "Read more >" below

Breakdown:

Name: April

Age: Forever young at heart

Relation: Mother

Favorite thing to do: Build things haha (she always wanted to be an architect)

My favorite part about her: Her smile and laugh, and eyes (they are gorgeous)

Best advice: "You are the only person that can make yourself happy, no one else. Not a boy, not your friends, not even me."

Unique facts: 
  • Born as a Yankee, but it is impossible to tell because of her harsh Southern accent
  • Makes the best sweet tea in the world
  • You can find her every Sunday taking a nap on the couch with Nascar on the TV
  • Went back to school to become a radiography technician


    Best memory: Every time I'm with her! She always knows how to brighten my day and make me smile. If I absolutely had to choose a specific memory, it was probably every Wednesday night my senior year when just me and her sat down to watch America's Next Top Model with our traditional Chick-Fil-A.


    My mom is the greatest person I know. She does so much just to see me smile. She went back to school as a single parent just so my sister and I would have better things in life. 

    She is the most selfless person I know. She will get me every bit of my wants and needs before she does anything for herself. She'll go to the cheap barber down the street so that I can go to the expensive salon and get an amazing haircut. She'll burn her fingers a million times while doing my hair for prom. AND she'll stay calm when I'm yelling at her for taking too long because she knows I'm stressed. She'll go out of her way to bring me things to Chapel Hill even if she has higher priorities.

    (Whew I'm starting to cry, of course) 

    My mom is my best friend and was there for me every second when the rest of the world walked out on me last summer. (Everyone knows that high school drama seems like the end of the world. It's not until college that you realize it was a waste to worry over). After I came home and cried in my bed everyday (which was dumb), she was the one who opened by blinds, wiped my tears, and opened my eyes to reality. She always gives me the best advice, and this summer she helped me realize that the people you care about the most might turn their backs on you, but you must learn from the mistakes you've made and make yourself into a better person. Also, as listed above, she gave the best advice of my life, which is that happiness can only come from within. I really don't know where I would be if she wasn't there to pick up the pieces.

    I feel so fortunate to have such a good-hearted and level-headed person as my mom. She's always been my superhero (literally, she can do just about anything) and I seriously don't know what I'd do without her. I'm so lucky that she shapes me into a better person everyday.

    She's always set a level for my maturity, taught me priorities in life, and forced me to be optimistic. She is one of the most easy-going parents I know, and sometimes I feel like my friends love Momma Spives more than me!

    The hardest part of college is not seeing her everyday, or being able to have her Southern cooking, or using an alarm instead of being woken up by her every morning. But when I get that bad exam grade or I'm extremely upset, I know she's a phone call away and will always know how to help me.

    I'll be eternally grateful,
    love you Momma!









    -Alexa Dorian




    1 comment:

    1. Hey lady, I stumbled on your blog and I love it. The design is adorable!

      I love this post about your mom - my own is my best friend, hero, and my rock, and I'm so glad you realize how blessed you are to have yours :)

      ReplyDelete